How to keep going when you want to quit sales
All salespeople hit a wall in their careers. The thoughts of wanting to quit is normal. Sales is not easy, especially in the begining. You go through ups and downs throughout the time you sell. These spots can be a high or a low. Sometimes it feels like a low all of the time. You will feel like nobody understands what you are going through. The pains you face don't seem right and quitting feels like the correct option.
What the pros say about tough spots in life
When you talk to Drs, therapists, and health professionals they will all tell you something different. In the end, you will have to do what is right for you and what gives you momentum. Some will tell you that you need to live through the situation instead of speeding through it, you may hear that you have to be gentle with yourself and even to do the work and not complain.
Books to read when you want to quit sales
There are books on every topic these days. Some are helpful and some are not. When you find a good book on a topic you may want to read it a few times. Here are three books you can read if you are struggling with your want to be in sales or even business:
- Todd Herman - The Alter Ego Effect
- Victor Frankle – Man's search for meaning
- Norman Cousins – Anatomy of an illness
Concepts meant to help you stay in sales
Tony Robbins says "Success is 20% skill and 80% psychological" if this is true then what you think about yourself matters. This also implies you will need to improve the way you think. A little background for validation for wanting to quit:
- We all hit a wall
- We all have doubts
- We all have fears
- There are things that happen to us because of ourselves
- There are things that happen for reasons out of our control
- There is a point where it can get to you
- It can be a small little bit in the back of your head or a huge one
- Its possible to be overwhelmed, scared, worried, upset, angry, and even stressed out
- What you decide to do with it is what matters
- Some of this is normal life and some of it isn't
- Emotional feelings and problems in life can drain your energy
- What we tell ourselves matters
The people you choose to have in your life matter
At some point, you will need to remove the people in your personal life that don’t support you. There are people in your business life that beat you down. Those who beat you down could be other salespeople, your management, or your ownership. If you are being mentally abused you will want to take some sort of healthy action. You may need to get new tools, help and even better support.
Get your sales momentum back
Your fears and problems can be multiplied by those around you, when that happens you keep going. When you are at the bottom it feels like there can be no way out, keep going. Sales can be tough, difficult, and even stressful. There are times where the conversation about quitting feels good. The challenge for you is you can talk yourself into quiting.
How people deal with wanting to quit sales
At the end of the day, it is your choice of what to do about your sales job. There are only so many options you have and moves you can make. This will all come down to a decision for you. Once you hear your problems and concerns are valid then what?
- You keep talking about them
- You move on and bury them
- You move on while talking about them
The framework for success in sales
What you intake in your life matters. This is food, thoughts, content, and even relationships you have. You can ensure proper mental intake from what you watch, read and listen to. One suggestion is to start your day with motivational mornings. This means you start with listening to people who get you motivated. There are multiple people you can add to this list:
- Steve Harvey
- Les Brown
- ET The Hip Hop Preacher
- Tony Robbins
The list is endless, your goal is to find someone who resonates with you. You may have to listen to and watch quite a few people for the energy to feel right.
Your internal thoughts matter
You may feel that if you talk to someone you could be broken. If you share your problems you may feel broken. What you need to know is there is a reason why you can reach out for professional help. When you share your problems you are not weak. There is a saying and it is "Where focus goes energy flows".
- Where are you placing your energy?
- Who are you talking to?
- How are you getting help?
- What help are you avoiding?
It may help you to get these thoughts and feelings off your chest. You may want to consider talking to a professional to help guide you through your problems, your pains, and your issues.
Possible steps for you to keep going when you want to quit
There are multiple actions or steps you can take when you want to quit. You will want to choose what works for you and your situation.
- Ignore the problem and hope it goes away
- Look at the gap or where you started and where you are now
- Goal post-game – break the goal into small steps
- Find what motivates you whether movies, podcasts, books, preachers or anything else.
- 3x5 index cards with your goals to be constantly reviewed
- Find people in your life that will support you whether online or in real life
- Look for what’s funny about this situation - Dr Sean Stehenson
- You can think "This isn't the weirdest thing that has ever happened to me"
- Find ways to laugh and have a good time
The struggles you face in sales and business are real. If you feel stuck please find some professional help.
***I am not a licensed health professional, if you feel that is what you need that is what you should search out.